Welcome!!

Welcome!!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Breakfast Anyone? Tex-Mex Migas

Say what!? Migas (Mee-gahs) are one of my favorite breakfast foods ever!! I had forgotten about the dish until I saw a pack of almost stale tortillas in the fridge one day and thought....I could make MIGAS!! Now this may sound gross but anytime I hear the word "migas" I think of throw up!! LOL!! My mother used to say "quieres hechar las migas" (translation) Do you want to throw up?? Maybe because Migas sort of looks like a mix of food, which it is!!
All you need is Corn Tortillas, Eggs, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and a breakfast meat like Bacon, Chorizo or Sausage. You can also add green bell peppers, tomatoes, or onions. Now Chilaquiles are very similar, the major difference is when you cook the tortillas in the skillet, in Chilaquiles you add either spicy red sauce (like salsa) or green salsa...to make them spicy, then you can add your egg. I love MIGAS, my mother would make them on the weekend and I would always add ketchup. It wasn't until I got older that I started eating them with salsa. You can modify this recipe however you like, that is what I love about it! My hubby adds Tapatio to his migas.

Andreas loves Migas!!



I would love to do more authentic Tex-Mex recipes!! Maybe when I am home I can film my mother cooking in her kitchen!! My mother is actually from Texas although raised in Mexico, she got the best of both worlds!! I would have loved to have lived in Mexico when I was a child so that I could experience my culture at its full potential. I am very fortunate my parents held on to many of the traditions and they spoke to me in Spanish, which I continue to love!! There will be photos for sure!!! Video down below for recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment