Welcome!!

Welcome!!

Monday, December 5, 2011

"Teen Mom:" Beneficial or Influential?

I have been watching this series that is on MTV, had no idea that Morgan Freeman was the creator!!! I am now on Season 2. I have a love/hate relationship with this show. I am late on shows because I am stationed overseas and sometimes they fail to show what is current, I think I am actually 2 or 3 years late! Sorry for that. I do want to talk about the show though because it is interesting. So many people have had mixed feelings about this show, should it be cancelled or is it great for teens to watch? My initial reaction to the show was that it should be off air, but as I continued to watch, it really shows how teens struggle with pregnancy. I mean yes it was a foolish mistake. For some it is not a mistake, some teens in today's society feel like they need to be parents in order to feel love from another person. I am saddened by it because everyone deserves to be loved. I don't think that it is the right decision and you do see it all over talk shows.
Teen Mom is a great show because it really gets raw and you get to see what happens to these teens, they are mostly put down by their peers because they became pregnant. I do not agree with teen pregnancy but it is reality. It sort of has an effect on me.

I was not a teen mom but I saw it with my own eyes as my older sister became pregnant at 16. She struggled with it, moved away and pretty much was forced into marriage. She did it alone for the most part and I wish she would have stayed home with us and my parents. My nephew lived for one month and passed away from SIDS, something I will never forget. My sister's heart was destroyed by this, and mine has too. Even if I was only 10 at the time.
My husband was a young dad as well, he had his daughter at the age of 17. It affected my husband in many ways as he had to learn to live on his own with a pregnant girlfriend. He quit school to find a job so he can support his family. He often looks back at it all and learned some important lessons. He has gone through so much and I am just happy that he was able to get through it all, he joined the Army at 19 and has supported his kids and family since then, something I am proud of.
At the age of 16, I was dating and a senior in High School, the only thing on my mind was graduating and attending college. That is exactly what I ended up doing, and I suppose if I would have had a baby at this age, my life would have been different. I don't know if I would have had the support of my parents. I know they would have been very disappointed in me.
The show should be on air for teens to see. It is a deterrent more than anything. It shows teens that having babies at this age causes heartache, struggle, and overall stress. I hope to educate my kids about teen sex and relationships because although educated teens still get pregnant, I think it helps that the teen has a parent they can talk to if need be. Let me know what you think about "Teen Mom." I got pregnant at 26 and even at that age it had its challenges, I can't imagine being pregnant at 16!!
 You can find old episodes on ProjectFreeTv.

No comments:

Post a Comment