Welcome!!

Welcome!!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Andreas: My "Belgian Export"



This month is the month of the Military Child. I have three!! Today I would love to share with you the story of my son Andreas Marzio J. He just turned two years old, and two months ago, he only knew Belgium as his home. Having a baby overseas was an experience. When I first learned I was pregnant, I was instantly nervous. I was faced with a challenge and scared that I wouldn't be able to communicate with my doctor or nurses as we were required to get care off the economy. When others learn that my son was born in Belgium, they ask if he was born in a military hospital. I didn't get that option. I had to choose a hospital and a doctor. Without knowledge on any of the doctors except from Facebook. AHH Facebook, another way to get knowledge. I asked a group of women who had given birth in Belgium to give me information on hospitals and doctors. Their experiences first hand gave me the ability to choose. I chose a wonderful doctor and she was British with so much experience in delivering babies. The wonderful part...we could communicate. She was such a popular doctor that I found it quite surprising that she could fit me in.
I had to stay 10 days in the hospital when I had the c-section. I thought it was a little excessive but rules are rules. I enjoyed my nurses and they took great care of me. I had so much paperwork to fill out after we left the hospital as my son had to acquire his birth certificate. That was a process on its own. Is he a Belgian citizen?? For a month he was!! He later gained his citizenship after filing for it on base. He was given his passport at the same time along with his U.S. Citizenship. I think it is great that he was born in Belgium. I had to video tape his hospital and take pictures that way when my son asks where he was born, I would have it for him to see. So my son is Belgian-American, but he is Mexican...how would I say that!? lol.
Chris and I are constantly in awe at how resilient our kids are after traveling to many different places. We are on our fourth house in four years. In Belgium alone, we lived in two different homes. My first child was on a plane to Europe at 6 weeks old so Belgium was his home most of his life. Watching my children during a PCS and having to go through that not knowing what is going on, makes me proud. They endured all the challenges and I am also happy that I have footage of that experience too. I just can't wait to show them pictures when they are older and tell them all the stories. I am so happy to be living in this lifestyle and wouldn't change any of it. My step daughter is 11 years old and she has endured being separated from her daddy through three deployments...and my two boys will be experiencing it too in the near future. I just hope I am as strong as they are when the time comes.

1 comment: